First: Don't buy 1920x1200, unless you are an eagle.
Unfortunatley, the T61p has far too new hardware for Linux:
- xorg runs 2 ways:
1. with VESA driver only (forcing 1920x1200 as only resolution in Modes line(s) of xorg.conf).
Advantage: Suspend and Resume can be used.
Disadvantage: No GL, no Google Earth.
2. with NVidia's 100.14.11 driver. Though, before installing this, one should remove any nvidia-glx-* packages, and rmmod nvidia. TIP: After running the installer (and when rebooting, before starting X!), you need to prevent xorg from magically using traces of nvidia-glx-* packages, by inserting the newly created module manually:
Advantage: GL and Google Earth work.
Disadvantage: Suspend and Resume crashes the kernel.
- Sound works half. TIP: In this Ubuntu Bug, you find comments and a link to t61_audio_hack.py, which turns sound on, more or less.
- The CD drive only works with SATA compatibility mode (a BIOS setting).
- WLAN is claimed run by manually installing Intel's driver, and with gutsy.
From: IBCL BLog.
Originally posted: 2007-08-21